Saturday, June 18, 2011

Colorado Springs Area

Saturday 6/18 - We made it to Colorado Springs and are staying in a nice RV Campground near the entrance to the 'Garden of the Gods' Park. Here are some inages from the Park.
These beautiful spires are everywhere in this park.

A couple of strange spires in the foreground





This looks like an Indian to me, but they call it 'The Scotsman'.

The requisite 'Balancing Rock' with everyone taking their picture like they are holding it up.
Their antics reminded me of our trip to the 'Leaning Tower of Pisa' in Italy a few years back.


Here is a picture for the official John-n-Sylvia's blog 'Name That Bird Contest'.
You can't see it real well in the picture but the dark band from it's shoulder to the wingtip is a very iridescent dark blue color. Beautiful. It is a wonderful God that created a bird like this.
I will send the contest winner a full size digital image of the bird (if you want it).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Father's Day - Sunday June 19 - It might be Father's Day, but Sylvia has taken over the blog for today. 

It's my turn to take over this blog.

In lieu of playing Tennis (we do have courts here) I suggested, yes me, that we go on a drive all the way to the top of Pike's Peak, America's Mountain.- 14,110 ft elevation. I'm talking nose-bleed here.
We gather our warm clothes, actually laughing about the cold weather style jackets and pants because it's about 80 degrees in the RV Park but the forecast for the top of the mountain is 32 degrees with a wind chill factor of 15 degrees. We packed water for hiking some of the areas, a blanket, and vests, etc in case our 'baby' car breaks down.


We had about a 20 minute wait in line just to get through the entry gate to the park, paid the $24, got a map with a big sign that says 'NO REFUNDS'. Totally a red flag I never expected. The entry gate is at 7,750 ft elevation, and up we went for 19 miles to 14,110 ft.. Max grade of 10.5%.

Let's be cool old folks, put the convertible top down and go for it. The Rock Stars from Rapallo.

The road has 19 mile markers and the map gives the elevation and explains what you are seeing around you at each mile marker. The beginning of the road is in the Montane zone, where things look pretty much like a normal mountain forest. OK, beautiful crystal reservoirs at 9,230 ft (no problem). The Subalpine zone starts at the 10 MM, about 10,000 ft elev. In this zone, due to a lack of water, the Aspen trees are gone and the vegetation changes as the spruce trees become more prominent and the shrubs disappear. At about the 12-13 mile mark, - 11,000 ft elevation we enter the Alpine zone where only the most hardy trees grow and they are much smaller and more infrequent than at lower altitudes. then before 12,000 ft only tundra grasses and mosses remain. Oops, where did the trees go?

Somewhere on the way up I realized my palms were moist, like playing an important match or tournament with my precious partner Chelsea, with one exception.  It was more than sweaty palms, it was "white knuckles".  Instead of fainting I said "Honey you are doing great."

We still had the top down when we reached the top, called Pikes Peak Finish Line. (They are holding the annual Pikes Peak Hill Climb race this coming weekend, but we won't be here to see it..) It was a cool, very  windy 32 degrees. We shivered into our poorly selected clothes & headed for the Summit Cafe. 

We both snow ski, so neither of us normally have a big problem with altitude sickness., but this was really up there above 14,000 ft.  We did not want to tell each other  "I feel weak, sick & dizzy". We had a bowl of chilli & very small chicken sandwich for a mere $28.  Still felt sick. We are still not speaking about the sickness we are feeling, but instead of looking around for gifts & t-shirts, we headed back to the car.  Quite a few people were speaking about not feeling well. Neither of us mentioned hiking at all. So much for that. We jumped into the car (top up, heat on) and down the mountain we went, very slowly and not stopping much to take pictures. 

Our car did a terrific job of getting us there and back.

There is still snow up on the top on June 19, 2 days before Summer Solstice.

The scenery was really pretty but I didn't like looking over the edge while the car was moving, especially since I felt queasy anyway. There are lots of hairpin turns like in the above picture, so I wouldn't let Johnny take his eyes off of the road.

There was a Ranger midway down measuring everyone's brake temperature with a remote gun thingy. They make you pull over if your brakes are too hot because they may not stop you if they are overheating. It was a long slow drive down and as we passed by the tollgate entrance on the way out of the park, I felt like throwing up on them.  But in spite of all the trauma, I am so glad we did it ONCE, but I won't do it again. 

However, it was so beautiful it makes one wonder how could heaven be any more beautiful. I really hope there are no white knuckles allowed there. We were sooo tired we delighted in returning to our wonderful motor coach, kissed the steps, then took a long nap.  That's my story and in spite of what my Johnny says, I'm sticking to it. 

Miss all my tennis buddies and friends.  "Happy Father's Day". 
A special note for those of you who were a little worried about my going on this adventure (me included) for so long, I assure you I love it. 
It is an amazing way to see our beautiful country, meet friendly people & make new friends.

OK Johnny, your turn again.  "Take it Away".

Okay, Thanks. I just want to thank you for the wonderful Father's Day present of suggesting the drive up Pike's Peak... Now if I could only get rid of this altitude headache....

No comments:

Post a Comment